Once you wash you hair, shower, add body lotions and face creams, perfumes and deodorant, your body is already coated in chemicals ranging from the natural and benign to nastier forms of preservatives and additives.
We don’t know what the effect of this chemical cocktail is – some experts say they’re harmless and that the body can absorb them with no ill-effects.
But if you’re worried – like we are – and want to cut down on the possible risk of toxic chemicals then take inspiration from Nicola Elliott, founder of bath, body and home fragrance company NEOM.
“We call ourselves ‘pale-greens’ here at NEOM. We try to be as green as possible but don’t get it right 100 per cent of the time.”
She understands that it’s not possible to live a 100 per cent chemical-free life, but if you want to make the change in 2012, it’s actually very easy to start looking into organic, eco or chemical-free alternatives.
Take the 80/20 approach – as long as you’re ‘good’ 80 per cent of the time you can slack off the other 20 per cent and not be so hard on yourself.
None of us is perfect – even Green Living has the occasional un-organic, non-green day.
But if we all try to seek out eco/green/chemically-reduced/organic products (and Green Living always carries reviews of the product lines we like the best) then manufacturers will respond to the increased demand and we all win!